Loading...

Corona Renderer: Honey Pot Tutorial



This Corona Renderer tutorial is a step-by-step the creation of the making of the "Honey project", by Sergey Kolbasnikov. It is not meant to be an in-depth tutorial, simply an overview of the process.

The "Honey project" was a logical continuation of his previous award winning work "Summer time" and "3D Mountain". Inspiration for both works, was drawn from the new, limited collection from IKEA’s “Summer 2015" selection.



The beginning of the “Honey Project” started with modeling of the can of honey.

  • Find a photo of the jar type and draw the line contour of the pot from the photo.
  • Apply a modifier Lathe, change the number of ribs 12.
  • Add the modifier Edit poly, after rotating of the line, close the opening of the base, and remove the extra edge (it does not affect the shape of the object), thereby slightly optimizing it.
  • The next step was the creation of a metal wire in the bank. I used one of my jars of coffee jar in the kitchen and captured a photo. I modeled the components of the wire in detail in 3ds max around every corner and carefully fit the points into the already-made model. This is how I achieved the accuracy of modeling in the lid attachment mechanism.


I used a basic way to create the contents of the jar; by internal polygons I filled the expected level of honey, using Detach to Clone, after Flip normal and closed the top of lid. Then I simply reduced the Scale object by 1% for the correct display of materials. Later I added realism for bubbles with the common "sphere" primitive, but with inverted normals, display the material correctly.

The next object to create was the scissors. They took a bit more fussing.

  • First I procured an Internet reference of the scissors.
  • Then lined around every detail, translated to Editable Poly and sliced ??polygons. I used the Cut tool on ready points, trying to observe the correct topology of the network.
  • I mounted an Extrude modifier and used Edit Poly mesh for the final correction for anti-aliasing.
  • The final touch was to add a sweep texture


Next on the agenda was creating an old book. It was really tricky. I had to smash my head on how best to do it. In the end after a couple of bad experiences the best option was found.

  • Cut and slice around the profile of an open book.
  • Select an edge on the perimeter and holding down Shift, several times I made multiple ribs, so as to obtain almost finished the book and applied the modifier symmetry.
  • For the book’s added realism, I slid and twisted the edges and points, creating the folds and "wave" of book paper.
  • For the bookmark fabric I used retopology Max.
  • The final touch was to add a sweep texture.


For the honey spoon, I used similar technique as stated with the scissors. The table is a regular polygon Plane 4x4.

For the plants, to cut down on time, I chose to use the realistic models from the Evermotion vol.130 collection.

Why did I join 2 point lights in one? Quite simply, the light in this scene is quite simple.

The first thing that I began testing the lighting with was the material for the honey and bottle. Below you can view the first tests and the final result of the materials lighting. There was no manipulation in Photoshop. BUT! There is a small disclaimer, the scene created in Corona renderer A6, and after writing this article, I moved on to the next version so I cannot guarantee the same result for version 1.01 ...





Regarding the coloring for the honey and scissor handles, parameter Absorption was used for both materials, red radius of 200mm and 20mm light green respectively.

Regarding the texture for the scissors. I prepared a scan, and painted the texture on in Photoshop. Here are the stages of work on the material for this model.




As I stated earlier, the most difficult portion of the project was the book. But in the end the final results exceeded all of my expectations and I was very pleased with the resulting model. After collecting all of the textured objects together, I discovered a new composite solution. The resulting composition was used as the final image.



Also, here are some of the materials of the scene ...






To illuminate the scene I used the usual HDRI map collection of CG_Source - hdri_empty-apartment_0048-01_cg-source. The default settings, and only enabled Spherical.

I used Corona Renderer’s default settings, with steep exposure, contrast and compression.

The final visualization of 1920x1080 on a single i7 4790k (4.4Ghz 4core) 16gb ram in Corona a6 took about 14 hours. The reason for the long render - fireflies in the DOF, on which it did not get rid of... That's how the final look of the image is buffered in Corona renderer.



Then I added small, clean fireflies in post-processing. All done in Photoshop in a single layer; I added a bit of contrast, glare, the aberrations and signature ... That's all, nothing tricky in the work there. Thank you all for your attention, beautiful renderings you guys!




Tutorial credits: Sergey Kolbasnikov